Board Retreat Day 2 – August 12, 2015
- 100K end of year balance
- Having three IE’s did well, overall
- Unexpectedly low growth with State Festival. Due to accidental no change in large-school cap
- See attached “Budget Report 14-15” Addendum and contact our Treasure, Beth Orme for further questions or information
Summit Report – Stewart & Kristina
- General feeling from Stewart: As a chapter, we are in really great shape relative to other states.
- Kristina – Focus of Summit: Move from the idea of “Event Coordinators” to more of a “Business Mindset.” EdTA is structuring itself to support the chapters in business management. For example, in coming years EdTA will offer states micro-websites as well as registration software.
- Some changes for us: There’s a new consent and acceptance form for nationals, but want the states to use it all events as well. Does not replace the health form, it’s a protector for us.
- The Process:
- Teachers collect a master Health Form and Consent & Acceptance form from every student at the beginning of the year. These forms list and cover ALL of the events for the year.
- Teachers make two copies of each form for EVERY student and adult attending a given even. One set of copies goes into the delegates badge. The other set is turned in to the registration desk at the event, cross checked with the list of kids registered, and go into a folder for that school. These copies are returned to the teacher at the end of the event.
- If a teacher does not have the required forms for a delegate, this delegate must leave the campus.
- The teacher must make new copies from their master for each event.
- The Process:
- Crisis Communication Plan:
- New template from EdTA to make a plan for each event regarding media contacts and managers.
- Insurance: D&O now covered through EdTA at a much lower rate for us. We will continue our general liability thru EdTA. Will will relay on the individual district coverage for accident and medical insurance (the alternative would be buying dual coverage additional $1.75 per delegate per event).
- EdTA Conference in Florida. Kristina, Stewart, and Petra
- New IE Forms. EdTA is providing a training video tutorial that they would like us use in our adjudicator trainings.
- Thespian Alumni Association—pass along to help keep our Almuni in the fold. Will connect on WA Thespian Alumni
- Honor Chapters thru EdTA. Mirrors Honor Troupes at the State Level
- Three goals from Kristina & Stewart:
- Constitution & Bylaws. Half done update of Oregon’s Bylaws, needs to be merged with Leslie VL’s documents
- Website Updating & new Constant Contact Registration
- Outreach to non-participating schools
- In-Service – Gretchen
- 3 session teacher masterclass with Rich Brown (2 before lunch, break, 1 after)
- Spaces at Garfield: 11. Adults in black box, 3 spaces for Satori group for HS Acting Students, 7 spaces for Jr.’s & Tech.
- Registration capped at 300 kids
LUNCH with Advisory Board
- Values work with Michael Fischer: emerging values: Welcoming, Education, and Process
- Small group discussion around Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Challenges of the three values.
- New registration costs
- No Large Troupe Fee
BREAK OUT WORK TIME UPDATES
- Space & Coffee – Stewart
- Online Registration – Ben
- Teacher Registration Table – Beth
- Student Workshop Posters – Kristina & Adam
- Goody Bags – Julie O. (prep)
- Clinician Check In and Helper – Gretchen
- Name Badges – Kristina (Ruben Orders)
- Sack Lunches – Ruben
- Practitioners, Flyers, Q&A – Gretchen
- Clock Hours – Leslie H
- Health & Consent Forms – Laurie
- COLLEGE AUDITIONS
- Katie Greve & Laurie L will run college auditions
- Julie & Adam will be on deck
- Ruben, Greg, & Ben do signage
- Clinician Food – Ruben
- Adjudicators with conflicts of interest: Adjudicators send kids they know to overflow room or a different room
- Website/Email: “Ways to ensure student success” list of suggestions.
- Timer does a countdown on the hands when students get to the final 5 seconds. If a student goes one second over, they will be disqualified. If a performance reaches 30 seconds over the limit, the timer will say “thank you” to cut off the performance.
- Tech IE’s have their photo taken with their product during their IE slot at State. If selected as a showcase winner, this photo will be shown during the slide show.
- Confusion from top 10, top 20, and national qualifiers.
2015-2016 BOARD MEETINGS
- Monday, September 21 – Leslie H.
- Monday, November 9 – Leslie H.
- Wednesday, January 6 – Leslie H.
- Friday, March 18 – At CWU
- Friday, June 10 – TBA